|Study location||Canada, Ontario, Toronto|
|Type||Advanced Diploma, College|
|Nominal duration||3 years, plus 3 Optional Co-op terms|
|Tuition fee||CA$18,552 per year
The fees are for the 2022–2023 academic year and include tuition (CA$16,705), health insurance and ancillary charges.
The fees displayed are estimates only for and are subject to change.
|Registration fee||CA$400 one-time
The registration fee includes the non-refundable application fee (CA$100) and the refundable deposit fee (CA$300).
High School / Secondary Education (or higher)
To be eligible for admission, you must possess a high school diploma including these required courses (or equivalents):
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English.
If you did not complete two or more consecutive full years at a recognized secondary or post-secondary education institution in a school where English is the primary language of instruction and communication, you must provide one of the English language proficiency tests below:
Biotechnology – Advanced program will prepare you with the scientific principles, techniques and skills required in industrial microbiology and chemistry. In this applied science program, you’ll also study biotechnology applications, biochemistry, microbial genetics, and clinical and environmental microbiology.
Your Biotechnology – Advanced courses will teach you to:
- Isolate, enumerate and identify microorganisms from many types of samples;
- Accurately calibrate and use instruments such as pH and BOD meters, gas chromatographs, spectrophotometers, HPLCs, centrifuges, PCR thermocyclers and gel electrophoresis equipment;
- Prepare media and reagents to culture pathogenic microbes;
- Design and perform advanced microbiology and microbial genetics experiments;
- Isolate DNA and perform gel electrophoresis and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) on samples.
The co-op option will allow you to gain hands-on experience while you complete three co-op work terms as an employee in the field. This experience not only allows you to put classroom learning into practice but will also provide valuable contacts for your future career.
To participate in this co-op option, you must . If academically qualified, you may be admitted to the co-op program.
When you graduate, your diploma will highlight the co-op credential.
- Quality control technologist
- Quality assurance technologist
- Production and research scientist
- Research associate
- Analytical chemist/microbiologist
- Laboratory technologist