|Study location||Canada, Ontario, Toronto|
|Type||Graduate Certificate, College|
|Nominal duration||1 year/ 2 semesters, includes 1 field placement|
|Tuition fee||CA$17,303 per year
The fee is for the 2022–2023 academic year and includes tuition (CA$15,693), health insurance and ancillary charges.
The fees displayed are estimates for and are subject to change.
|Registration fee||CA$400 one-time
The registration fee includes the non-refundable application fee (CA$100) and the refundable deposit fee (CA$300).
|Accommodation fee||CA$1,800 per month
The above fee is an estimated amount for for one month.
Undergraduate Diploma (or higher)
To be eligible for admission, you must possess:
Applicants who have completed partial post-secondary education (minimum two years) and have relevant work experience will be considered.
Note: After applying, applicants will receive an email advising how to take the online assessment. A PAS interview may be offered after the assessment.
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English.
If you did not complete two or more consecutive full years at a recognized post-secondary education institution in a school where English is the primary language of instruction and communication, you must provide one of the English language proficiency tests below:
Film and Television – Business is a unique program offered by the School of Communication, Media, Arts and Design that will prepare you to take on the business aspects of the television and film production industry. Today’s film and television producers need more than good ideas and a crew to get their projects off the ground. They need people with the skills to handle financing, management, legal, distribution and business affairs. That’s where you’ll come in.
This two-semester graduate certificate program will emphasize the importance of an entrepreneurial spirit and a global outlook. You’ll explore the industry’s legal, financial and regulatory frameworks and develop skills necessary for producing in the current Canadian and international market. To round out your training, you’ll complete a field placement that will allow you to gain experience in the industry before graduation.
This program is unique in Canada, and it will:
- Combine knowledge of the film and television industry with the principles and practices of accounting and business;
- Focus on developing strategies and plans for various business aspects of the film and television industry (e.g., project financing, program sales and marketing plans, and business plans for launching and operating an independent production company);
- Integrate knowledge of the global marketplace, distribution models and additional revenue sources;
- Provide opportunities to learn production techniques — in both crew and leadership positions — through the various stages of pre-production, production and post-production.
- Production coordinator
- Production manager
- Business affairs associate
- Business affairs officer
- Production accountant
- Distribution associate
- Associate producer
- Independent producer